“You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle breed with a different kind. You shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor shall you wear a garment of cloth made of two kinds of material.
This, believe it or not, is a picture of God’s heart for His people. God’s desire is for His people to be separate to Him. He desires His people be holy as He is holy (1 Peter 1:16).
It is important to note, that due to the covenant we now have in Jesus, our righteousness is not earned through our external work but through the perfect standard of Jesus life. God’s heart however remains, that we become a people sold out to Him, separated for Him and consecrated to Him.
So, how can we do that practically? I believe this verse points to three ways:
1. Cattle breeding which represents our livelihood.
- Do we conduct ourselves with integrity in the workplace?
- Is my work ethic a good advertisement for Christ?
- Am I considered trustworthy and faithful amongst my colleagues or the industry I am in?
- Does my career, employment, business serve God or do I serve it?
2. Seed sowing, which represents our finances.
- Does my bank statement represent my faith well?
- Is my level of generosity comparable to the world or to be professed faith?
- Is God number 1 in my finances as evidenced by faithful (not emotional) tithing and giving?
- Would the Lord consider me a good steward or a frivolous consumer, like everyone else?
3. Garment Cloth, which represents our relationships.
- Do I view my relationships JUST in terms of what I can get, or what I can give as well?
- Does my faith in Jesus bring more influence to my relationships, or do they bring their influence to bear on me?
- Is the standard of how I treat others how they treat me or how Christ treats me?
- Is God’s love evident in how I conduct myself before others?
PRAYER: Father, I know you desire I live a holy life marked by your character. I ask for your Grace to make that a reality in my life. I receive that my faith in Jesus name, Amen.