18 So He was saying, “What is the kingdom of God like, and to what shall I compare it? 19 It is like a mustard seed, which a man took and threw into his own garden; and it grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air nested in its branches.”
Have you ever wondered what the Kingdom of God is really like? Or maybe you’ve heard the term, read about it even, but it still seems hard to get clear in your mind?
In the two verse above, Jesus tells us what the Kingdom of God is:
- A Seed – it carries life. A seed carries within it the ability to reproduce itself. It is created for this purpose. So too the Kingdom of God is carried in seed form.
- It starts small – a mustard seed is exceedingly small and easy to overlook. In fact, we are told a man “threw it”. The Kingdom of God’s true value and worth is often overlooked and discarded.
- It is planted by man – I love that God chooses to use and involve man in His work. The Kingdom of God belongs to God but is for people and is spread to people by people.
- The Seed’s Destiny is to become a tree – The seed of the Kingdom, when planted, does not remain a small, insignificant seed. It grows into a life-giving tree. So too the Kingdom of God, if received, grows and gives life!
- The Tree Grows and Impacts its surrounds – The seed grows into a tree and the tree creates an improved environment for those around it. Branches provide shelter for birds, the canopy provides shade, sustenance is provided by its fruit and nuts, new life comes as a result of the ecosystem it produces, reproduction occurs as a result of it’s seed. So too the living active Kingdom of God!
The Kingdom of God brings life and life more abundantly! That is the nature of God and His rulership in our lives. Embrace it and partake in it today!
PRAYER: Father, thank you for your kingdom rule. I submit to your lordship today in my life. I ask you to bring about your new life in and through me today Lord. Im Jesus name, Amen.